Wednesday, August 18, 2010

I Think I Should Write Something

I don't have anything particularly exciting to write about, but Anne is out at a Master Gardener meeting, I don't want to watch television, I'm not into any book right now, I practiced my banjo earlier, although, God knows, I should practice all day, so what else is there to do. Besides, this lets me use the back lit keyboard on my new laptop.

We still have nothing definitive from our seller in Rochester. We spoke to him on Thursday and he agreed with everything we said and said he would speak to his estranged wife about a price for the house and get back to us on Friday. On Friday, I got an email from him (be still my beating heart) that he couldn't get us the information until tomorrow (Saturday) because he got very busy. Saturday came and went. Sunday came and went. Monday came and I emailed him suggesting a price and a closing date. Monday went. Tuesday came and went. Wednesday came and has almost went. In the meantime we have signed a contract to sell our house. I have little patience left. It is getting depressing.

I hate to throw out books, but I'm throwing some out tonight. Maybe someone, somewhere in the world would want them, but I don't. Old reference books, college history books, an out of date thesaurus. We won't have room for half of the books we have now in our new home, assuming we get a new home, so I have been busy sorting through stuff. I previously posted about how I really only need three books because I won't remember what I read and each will be like an entirely new book each time I read it. I am looking up over my desk to the books lining the wall above me and am getting even more depressed. That's only one area of shelving with books. I told our buyers that I was thinking of selling them the house furnished and just walking away with the clothes on our backs. they looked horrified. We aren't nearly as bad as some people. Everything is at least neat and somewhat organized. I mean there aren't piles of stuff all around the floor or anything. We just have too much stuff.

I got a call from the dermatologist today that the biopsy they took from my right shoulder is positive for basal cell carcinoma and they want to excise it. Of course they do. That is scheduled for August 30th. I figure, let's get it over with. Sigh.

I find that I'm not following up on my retirement rule to work in the morning and to relax in the afternoon. I have been having a great urge to keep on  working in the afternoon as well and then giving in to the urge. I know that some of you readers are thinking, "Give us a break," and "Woman's work is never done," and things like that and maybe some things that are more unkind. But, at least I'm giving in to the urge, sometime.

This morning, in addition to tying up books and magazines, I also filled out our applications for passport renewals. You can do it online and then print them out. It seems simple enough, but I wanted to check everything carefully. Then I took them to the post office and mailed them away. Hopefully, we will have our new documents before we travel to Mexico, maybe sometime next year.

I guess I've run out of things to say, so I will stop saying them. The AARP magazine that came today has an article about how people become creative in their "later" years. I should go and search out my creative muse or muses. I think they're hiding out somewhere. "Here muse, let's have a little talk, you and I."

1 comment:

Mary Jane Gilbertson said...

Hi Bill,

It's a shame you can't find a home for all the textbooks. I carried them around from home to home for years, then I tried to find someone that might want them. I tried libraries, the salvation army, Africa, no takers. It was very hard to throw out expensive, excellent text books, but what can you do? I recently spoke to a student about when she volunteered to vamp up a library in a disadvantaged school district in NY, so I am sure someone takes books!