Thursday, November 4, 2010

Not Writing

I haven't written a word today toward the end of completing my "novel" by the end of November as per the nonawhona site, or whatever it is that my daughter got me sign up on. I may write something, but I have not so far and it feels liberating. I was busy though. I had to go out and get a new smoke alarm for our upstairs hall. The old one started chirping the other morning about four or five o'clock. They can never chirp during the day; always at night. Are they programed to run out of battery power only when it's dark? I got it down and figured I would change the battery. But, no, not so fast, innocent consumer. There is no battery to change. This was one of the new, "maintenance free" smoke alarms. You can't replace the battery. You must take your smoke alarm to the nearest trash can, throw it in and then go to the store and buy another. Marketing people must get a tremendous rush when they think of things like this. "Don't let him just have to buy a battery for a few bucks. Make him go out and get a whole new alarm." And you have to go out because, while you may have had the foresight to have a new battery on hand, I bet you don't have an extra smoke alarm sitting in a drawer.

So, I have not written yet. I have been smoke alarming. That's my excuse.

I went to the dermatologist this morning and try as they might, they were unable to discover any part of me that needed surgery. I have to go back in three months at which time they will scan me and try again.

1 comment:

Mary Jane Gilbertson said...

Hi Bill,
I have been very busy moving and working, found the time to open your blog today. Thanks for the chuckles, and you are a great writer.