Friday, February 25, 2011

Enough Already

I envy people like my friend MJ (I'll call her MJ in case she doesn't want publicity or her true identity revealed in association with this blog) who just up and moved to a new house, in Florida no less and by all accounts seems to be doing well in her new abode. I, on the other hand, am still at the starting line. I opened my email the other day and what to my wondering eyes should appear, but an email from our seller in Rochester. You remember him, the one who never answered a phone message or email. Well, it seems that his estranged wife still can't decide whether or not to move, even after she said she was ready, so he said he was really sorry that we couldn't make a deal and wished us luck finding a home. We had pretty much written off that house anyway so I guess this was pretty much the final nail in the door jamb.

We are scheduling a trip up north in the near future and have a number of houses to look at, but who knows what the weather may be. Will we be able to go, or not? Will they have snow up there, or not? Will we have more snow here? Don't they need this snow someplace else, like in Sweden or Russia or someplace?

So, we have our list of houses. Our buyers have lowered the price on their house by $20,000, so we are hoping for more activity on that front. In the meantime we are still getting rid of stuff that has accumulated through the years. That process takes longer than you might think because we are now down to stuff that requires a little more careful examination before it is relegated to the trash pile. That is where things stand and I will now go and find more things that require careful examination.

3 comments:

Mary Jane Gilbertson said...

Try Florida too Bill! Houses, beach front condos, all dirt cheap! My friends brother is looking at a beachfront, condo in a community with a pool, tennis courts etc. Brand new, in St. Augustine, he offered 99,000 and they accepted. If you don't need to work it is great, there is no work. In fact the news the other day said my area, central Florida, is second to Detroit in unemployment and in my view recovery is NOT happening

Bill said...

I know, MJ. Our son called a couple of weeks ago and said we were out of our minds for not thinking of moving to Florida. But, we hardly know anyone there. Well, we know you, a couple in New Port Richie, and a friend in Naples. I am thinking of buying a home in Rochester and keeping a pool of money so that we can travel and rent for a month or so every year in Florida or Arizona or Puerto Rico or wherever. We may be knocking on your door someday in the near future. "Hi, we're Anne & Bill. Let's do the town." That sounds like a good deal in St. Augustine. We were thinking of buying something in Rochester and something else in Florida, but I kinda like the above idea of keeping our options open better.

Mary Jane Gilbertson said...

Okay so not so perfect, I have seen TWO black snakes in my yard right near the back door and then the next day right near the front door. My ball playing neighbors assured me they were harmless but watch out for the corals and rattlers, WHAT!

Ask Anne about very sandy soil for me, I am treating with top soil and reading Florida gardening books but I tell you the soil is really sandy. BUT I found out bananas grow in my zone with just a little TLC in the colder months, neat!