Wednesday, August 24, 2011

A Walk on the Beach

We took a walk on the beach last evening, Anne and I and our friend Alice. The weather was about as good as it gets; a slight sea breeze and no bugs. I always find the wave action calming and restorative, but it's not just that. I think it also has to do with the sun on the water, the birds swooping after their dinner, feet touching the sand and water, the immensity of the ocean. I was thinking that we have made a decision to move away from this, so I hope that Lake Ontario has some restorative properties. I believe that there is nothing quite like the ocean, though.

I have lived near the ocean all of my life. I started out in Newark, NJ, which isn't quite what would be called "near the ocean," but we spent many weekends at the shore when I was a child, then moving to Sea Girt when I was in my last year of high school. Thereafter, I never considered myself a "Day Benny." I believe that I will be closer to the water at our new house. It is about two miles to the lake straight up Holt Road. It's a pretty big lake. Not big as far as the Great Lakes go, but big, nevertheless. You can't see across to Canada. All you can see is water, so, except for your knowledge of geography, for all you know, it could go on forever. But, I don't know if it will be the same as the ocean. There's something about the beach. There was one sight, however, that somewhat marred the experience and that was the lady in the bikini. An older woman who had no business being in a bikini because a good portion of her hung over the bottom part of it. Shouldn't there be a naturalist or someone to point out to people that they are disturbing the balance of nature, not to mention the view.

5 comments:

Pat said...

LOL!! How right you are!
Even the Gulf of Mexico isn't the same as the ocean, but I love it just the same.
When are you moving?? Hope all goes well.
Pat

Bill said...

Not sure about the moving date, Pat. We plan to stay here until we sell, because we think the house looks better with furniture in it, rather than empty. We were toying with the idea of going to Rochester to ride out the hurricane, but decided it might be better to stay here to protect our asset (house)in the path of the storm. I hope we're right.

Pat said...

Hope you survived Irene unscathed! Have heard from family that they had power out for quite a while. Freehold is still out.
I think the storm was not as bad as they originally thought, but still a major disruption for everyone up there.
I think you are right about the house looking better with furniture. Plus buyers might think you were desparate if it were empty!
Good luck!
Pat

Bill said...

We were lucky and didn't lose power at all. Most of our neighbors did. All in all we didn't have much of a problem. A little water in the basement and a lot of leaves in the pool. I know, poor me, I had to scoop leaves out of my pool.

Mary Jane Gilbertson said...

So well said Bill, I went up to NJ for a few days and stayed with a friend on LBI, nothing like the NJ shore, nothing