Monday, September 7, 2009

Retirement

So now I'm retired. I guess I have time to do everything I always wanted to do but didn't know I wanted to do. I started by washing the car on Saturday, getting my new Thule load bars set up for the kayaks and today I spent some time organizing things in the garage loft. Maybe you think I'm spending too much time with things associated with the garage, but these things need to be done. Messes accumulate over time and periodically they need to be straightened out, so that's what I have set out to do. I also got some pieces of wood out of the cellar and put them in the loft. The cellar looks a lot better.

I still am not fully conscious that I am retired. Whenever I think of something that needs doing, I think in terms of doing it on a weekend, but, now every day is a Saturday except Sunday, to quote my friend, Ray. I have a long list of home repairs or improvements that I need to do. At first I thought it would be nice to do nothing for a month or two, but that's not realistic. Anne hasn't put down her dish cloth or spatula, so if she's still chugging along, I suppose I can too.

I do think that everyday shouldn't be a full day of work around the house. If I'm going to do that, I should go back to the office and get paid for the work. I will try to do some chores for part of the day and then find something fun to do, or, do a project for a day and then find some recreation the next day. I don't really have a handle on this retirement thing yet. I think I will re-energize my blog so I can keep more of a diary of what I'm thinking and doing. Facebook is not set up to do that.

So, tune in next time to see what I have or have not accomplished.

1 comment:

christine M said...

Looking forward to the updates as to how your retirement is going.