Thursday, April 5, 2012

Now That It's Spring, It's Cold

I want the Winter to return when it was warm. It's downright chilly out there now that Spring has arrived. I was planning to work outside today to spiff up the rock (slab, flat stone) patio off of our deck. We removed a large holly bush that was obscuring a view of our pond. Well, it barely qualifies as a pond. It's more like a deep puddle. It is one of those plastic basins that you dig into the ground and let a water feature dribble water into it. I didn't install it, the previous owners did. It's nice. It has a large rock from which water pours to create the waterfall effect. Anyway, it was too darn cold and raw this morning to make me want to stay out there. Besides, my whole body was sore from hauling mulch from the town hall yesterday. We made two trips with the minivan and got some really nice mulch for the garden and some nice wood chip mulch for a garden pathway that we are constructing. The only trouble with the garden mulch is that it's mixed with horse manure, which is great for the garden, but not so great for the nostrils. Anne tells me that the aroma will dissipate. I hope it dissipates before Sunday when we will be hosting Easter dinner.

Not having the stamina to work outdoors, I descended into the cellar to continue to get my workshop in order. I have to say that progress is being made, both in the cellar and in the garage. I predict that one of these days, both cars will reside in the garage. When I got back up to ground level, I said to Anne, "I feel good. I got a lot accomplished this weekend." Then, of course, I realized that I had more weekend to come. It's nice being retired, when every day is Saturday..

We visited New Jersey last week, stayed in Basking Ridge, celebrated March and April birthdays, saw Katie Rose in Woodbridge High School's rendition of Cabaret (great show) and drove to Virginia to visit with Anne's sister and her husband. Living way up North now, I had forgotten what traffic was like until I hit the beltway around DC. They sure have a lot of cars down there.

No comments: