Wednesday, February 20, 2008

The Great American Shelving Adventure (Part 1)

I promised my grandson, Stephen that I would help him build a bookcase for his bedroom. I should have left it at that, but I had to open my mouth and suggest that he might like adjustable shelving with some type of desk and storage space. That sounded good to him as long as there is a trap door someplace in it, like a secret compartment. I asked what he wanted to store in the compartment, so I could get an idea of the size it should be and it turns out he plans to store himself in it. A little larger compartment than I thought, but, oh well.

I went to the Home Depot near my office to price the uprights, brackets, wood, etc. I have to say I was dismayed. The collection of uprights was a jumble of different sizes and only a few of each. The labels on the shelves had the sizes cut off so it was difficult to know with which product they were associated. I managed to get one of the uprights out of the tangle and found that it was made by Rubbermaid. It was clearly metal and not rubber. I didn't quite know what to make of that so I headed to the lumber department and was even more dismayed that I wasn't able to find any 5/4 pine which I think goes better with the hardware I want to getthan 3/4 inch shelving. Tomorrow I will head off to Lowes and the saga will continue.

No comments: