Wednesday, February 20, 2008

The Soap Dispenser Caper

When I installed a new sink in our kitchen, I inserted a soap dispenser in a hole in the top rim of the sink. That was only a year or so ago and I can still remember the contortions I went through to get it there. For some reason I had to install it after the sink was in place. 

Fast forward a year or so and my spouse pointed out that the metal tube in the thing had corroded to the point where it wasn't working. Off I went to the Home Depot and bought a new one which I determined had a plastic tube, so there was no longer a danger of corrosion. I then removed all of the stuff under the sink, gathered my tools, got on my back and immediately realized that that wasn't going to work very well. My back came in contact with the front of the sink cabinet and, as you might imagine, caused great pain and anguish. I secured a pillow to lie on, but this put me too high to be able to put my arms to good use. I got  a smaller pillow. Now I was under the sink and could barely reach the nut holding the dispenser. Fortunately, over the years I have accumulated various tools for odd situations such as this. I have a sink wrench, without which I would have been unable to proceed, but the proceeding went very slowly. After much angst I got the darn thing off and thought, "Oh well, the worst part is over." You can probably guess that Mr. Murphy was about to apply one of his laws.

After several false starts and a near paralyzed back, the new dispenser and soap bottle were installed. The only thing left was to insert the pump. Spouse said, "Why don't you run some water through it first because it will work better with the soap." O.K. I always do what Spouse says, especially in the kitchen, so, we inserted the tube in some water and pumped. And the water squirted out of the spout, where it was supposed to come out and from under the cap, where it wasn't supposed to come out. I examined the cap and saw a microscopic crack where the metal spout joined the tube in the underside of the cap. 

I had to return this thing, but I was not going under that sink again to try to extricate the now secure dispenser along with it's bottle filled with soap. I decided to just buy another one and to swap out the pump and return the defective unit. I went to our local Home Depot and, of course, they didn't have it in white. I had to wait until I went to work to go to the store where I bought the first one to get a replacement. I was wondering as I bought it if it would have the same defect. Luckily there was no problem with the new pump and we now have a soap dispenser that dispenses soap ans isn't corroded and won't ever corrode, I hope. 

1 comment:

Anne K said...

Spouse recalls that at some point you had an idea to simply plug up the hole. Spouse encouraged you to not give up. Thanks for the soap dispenser, Dear.