Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Tetracycline

This is an antibiotic I have to take twice a day for seven days following my surgery. That seems simple enough except that when you read the directions, things get complicated. You have to take it one hour before or two hours after a meal. I thought that I could get up an hour before breakfast, take the pill and then go back to bed. But, no, you can't lie down for thirty minutes after you take it. You also have to wait for two to three hours after eating certain products that contain milk, calcium and a host of other things. I mentioned to the doctor that the last time I took this I had a lot of gas and general stomach discomfort. He said that is common with antibiotics and that I should take an over the counter drug called acidophilus, a pro biotic contained in yogurt. I have to take that three times a day with meals, but it needs refrigeration after opening, so I can't keep the bottle on the table where I can readily see it. I have to remember to get it out and, of course, then put it back. The directions with the tetracycline also warn to stop taking the drug if I have shortness of breath, and a range of other maladies. At least it doesn't warn that it can cause suicidal thoughts and tendencies. There is a drug advertised on the morning news that has those possible side effects. Why anyone would take medicine that can cause suicidal thoughts and tendencies is really beyond me. It's interesting that the cost of the tetracycline was $2.05 and the cost of the acidophilus was $14.99. With all the pills and supplements that I take I hardly have to eat anything else. So, I must now get organized so that I take my pill on time. This whole business has me scratching my head. Oh, I had better not scratch too hard. My hair might fall out. I'd better check those instructions again.

3 comments:

Mary Jane Gilbertson said...

Hi Bill,

I have been on tetracycline, it is hard to take it one hour before BUT two hours after eating. You spend the whole day trying to time meals and doses. My sale fell through, well documents are at HUD being reviewed-supposedly closing 10/13 now but who knows. Real estate is being crippled.
Mary Jane

Bill said...

Sorry again about your sale. Maybe you'll get lucky. It's time for a little good luck, don't you think? Our seller (in Rochester) has gone mute or something. He doesn't respond to emails or phone messages. I'm disappointed, but not defeated. We'll start looking for something else probably around Thanksgiving.

If it wasn't such a pain, trying to figure out when to take tetracycline would almost seem like a comedy skit. Tuesday will be my last day on it. Yippee!

I wish you luck with your house and I'll say a prayer for you. Let me know how it goes.

Mary Jane Gilbertson said...

Where are you Bill?