Sunday, December 27, 2009

A Day or So After Christmas

It's getting to be that I hardly know what day it is anymore, but we did remember to go to church this morning. Christmas Eve was spent with Christine, Adrian, Katie Rose and Stephen. Christine made a delicious chicken dinner and we had plenty of cookies for dessert. On Christmas morning we traveled to Basking Ridge to have brunch with Teddy, Patti, Timmy and Bridget. We watched the twins open their presents and they were quite cute about it. Patti made a very nice brunch and then even served dessert later. We came home from there and spent the rest of the day doing not too much of anything.

On Saturday, I decided that our china cabinet needed cleaning. It doesn't get cleaned very often and I can testify as to why that is so. It has glass doors, glass sides, glass shelves and a mirror back, so to clean it, everything has to come out. While everything is out, it is a good time to wash all of the glasses, etc., etc., etc. I did all that and then polished some silverware, which I had noticed was getting a little tarnished. All of this I did after patching up a small imperfection in the stairway wall in anticipation of painting the whole thing. I started my projects right after breakfast and didn't finish until after 4:00p.m. Anne made some tea and let me have some cookies to replenish my energy. Cookies are good at replenishing my energy. She then made a nice turkey dinner.

Also yesterday, I was trying to put together a collection of music to listen to at a dinner party we're having at the end of January and was somewhat frustrated because after I hooked my iPod up to the living room stereo, it wouldn't play through the left speaker. It played through the surround sound and the bass, but not the left. This morning I set out to try to find the cause of this very unsatisfactory situation. (I like my music the way I like my music and stereo music is supposed to come out of two speakers.) I thought I was being very careful when I plugged in the RCA jacks to the back of the receiver. I could not see what I was doing, but had to work backwards and upside down. I wasn't upside down, although it might have worked better that way. Anyway, as strange as it may seem, someone snuck into the house in the middle of the night and plugged the left speaker plug into the wrong jack, where another plug had been when I did it. I'm thinking it may have been that Elf on the shelf, Georgie, that lives at Timmy and Bridget's house before Christmas and reports good and bad deeds to Santa. Why Georgie would want to cause me trouble, I cannot say, but he's the only one small enough to get back there and fool around with those plugs. Well, I now got the thing sorted out and all that remains is to choose the music. I really don't know why I bother for background music because Anne will tell me it's too loud, or turn it off, or people will want to watch television or talk or something, all despite my best efforts and long hours of toil.

I love this blog thing. See, you can't say all this stuff on Facebook; no one wants to read it. I can write it here like a diary and if nobody looks at it, fine, or if they do, they will know exactly what I'm thinking or doing, if there is someone who wants to know that. I'm guessing that there are not too many people who care, since, despite great publicity (I've told some people about my blog) I have only one follower.

Teddy got this thing called a Sno-wovel, which is a snow shovel attached to a giant wheel. He was impressed with it and said it worked really well with our last snow storm, especially when the accumulation was in the 3 to 4 inch range.

I heard Anne practicing the violin, so maybe I should stop all of this writing and go try to make some music too.

No comments: