Friday, December 18, 2009

Retirement II

Charlie Gibson is retiring today after 34 years as a reporter and anchorman at ABC News. He was on Good Morning America this morning and mentioned that Bill Bradley had recently told him that after he retires he should wait six to nine months to decide what he wants to do, or if he wants to do anything at all. In the meantime he should read and relax. Charlie said that he was never able to get more than two weeks of vacation in a row while he was working. I feel somewhat the same way. It has now been three months since I retired and I have been wondering what the future holds for me. After so many years of work, I feel somewhat guilty about not doing something productive all day long, so I do try to do something productive each day.

Should I pursue my dream of becoming a world famous author of best selling novels, a folk musician, a renowned artist, or what? Anne thinks I should become a Renaissance man and do all of them. She suggested painting, but I'm not sure if she meant painting on a canvas or painting the outside window trim.

It is said that if you want to be a writer you should read a lot and if a musician, listen to a lot of music. So, I'm reading and listening to music and I have three to six months to go to be on Bill Bradley's schedule of deciding what to do. In the meantime, I'm going to try to figure out how to spiff up my blog and to get more of my pictures on Flickr and organize them better. All of this thinking is making me tired. Maybe I should take a nap, but it's only 10:00 a.m. Oh drat.

1 comment:

Anne K said...

I just enjoyed reading your posts for the last 3 days. Keep it up! You're making me realize I've got to get back to posting again on Morning Glory Alley. I just don't seem to have time. Want to wrap the rest of the gifts and bake cookies this year?:)