Friday, January 8, 2010

Books

I was looking for a book this afternoon. It is Dean Ornish's Program fro Reversing Heart Disease. I wasn't looking for it in the book store or online. I was looking for it in the many shelves, nooks and crannies in our own house, because I knew it was somewhere. I eventually found it and I also found, or, should I say re-found books on many subjects. To name a few: law, sailing, kayaking, canoeing, walking, camping, navigation, fly fishing, surf fishing, fresh water fishing, photography, water color painting, oil painting, travel, health, cooking, herbs, gardening, fitness, exercising, weight training, literature of all kinds, music theory, piano books, banjo books, mandolin books, song books, scuba diving, biographies, field guides on various subjects, woodworking, model trains, dollhouses, books on learning Spanish, French, German, Italian, Arabic and Turkish and the list goes on. Yes, I have looked at most of them and read quite a few of them. No I can't speak any language very well, including English, but I can speak a word or two in all of them. No I can't identify all the herbs, plants, flowers and bugs described in the field guides, but I'm pretty sure I can point out a field if one presents itself.

I did scuba diving and sailing for a while and fishing, still do kayaking and canoeing and still play the banjo, but I'm hardly the expert in any of these pursuits that having all of these books would imply. Anne tells me that I should stop buying books and go to the library, but I noticed that a fair number of books were on subjects of unique interest to her. I'm not buying many books any more and I have resolved that I ought to read or re-read the ones that I have. After all, I've forgotten most of what I read anyway, so they will be like entirely new books to me. I guess I should settle down with a dram of Scotch and start reading.

1 comment:

Anne K said...

OK We should both stop buying books and go to the library!