Thursday, February 11, 2010

More Snow and The Olden Days, Almost

We had more snow last night, a lot more. Early yesterday, I had removed the mass of snow the plow had left in our alley blocking our garage. Anne went out in the afternoon and saw that it happened again. She saw the plow driver and told him about it. He said the next time he came through he would pile it the other way. She thought he was going to plow some of ours away, but, no, he just came through and piled another mass of snow on the other side of the alley. So, I had to remove it again. My body feels like I just spent a week at the Fitness Guru.

Last night, about 8:30, Anne said that there were police and fire trucks outside because our power line had fallen in the street and that our neighbor had no power. I thought that was odd since all the lights were on in the house and why should our power line falling have anything to do with our neighbor. I got on my coat, put on my boots, put on hat and gloves and went outside to have the fire company warn me to stay back because there was high voltage in the road, which was now blocked by the police to all traffic coming in both directions. Realizing that the power line wasn't down, I quickly determined that what had fallen were two old telephone lines and our cable line. When the fire company became convinced of the same thing, they simply cut the wires and traffic resumed.

I called the cable company at about 10:00 last night, got to talk to a human and was told someone would be out by 8:00p.m. tonight. At 4:00p.m. the Cablevision people arrived and put up a new wire in about an hour. Pretty good service, I think. However, their fast action deprived us of the opportunity to find out what it would have been like to live without TV, internet or phone. We do have a cell phone so Anne called our daughter to tell her so that she could pass the word in case any family member wanted to contact us. We also didn't get a newspaper today, so I said, "My gosh, we're actually going to have to talk to each other." The whole thing did make me wonder what we would do with ourselves all day without the now  traditional pastimes. I was reading a book, so I spent time doing that, played my banjo and, oh, how could I forget, shoveled snow. Hopefully, shoveling snow won't become a daily, winter occupation. What else would I do? I think I need another hobby.

No comments: