Saturday, February 6, 2010

Shovel, Shovel, Toil and Trouble

The trouble came first when the spring holding the drive cable on my snow thrower broke again. Our neighbor, Rich, had made a quick repair the last time it snowed, but it came apart. I had to turn the darn thing over and make another repair with galvanized wire. It held for today. After that was finished came the task of actually blowing the snow and shoveling. I started about 12:15 and finished up at around 2:30. Anne shoveled the front walk and porch and some other stuff. There are some other places I wanted to do, but I thought I should stop. I had been warned not to overdo it, so I didn't, I think. My shoulders, arms and back most certainly got enough exercise for today. I would guess we had approximately 10 to 12 inches, but it's hard to say because of the drifting.

More trouble presented itself by way of Anne's computer. It stopped recognizing the printer and then wouldn't open Control Panel or My Computer. When you "troubleshoot" you get instructions to do inane things or get sent to menus that don't exist. I don't know why they don't just have a message pop up that says, "No user serviceable stuff inside. Take me to a repair shop." At least that would be honest. We may go out in a day or so to look for a new computer. This one is old enough and has had enough issues that I think it is looking to do what I did, retire. We had a long discussion about what to get with me pushing Apple and maybe even a laptop and Anne pretty sure she would be happy with a PC desktop because she likes the larger screen and because she is content working with it at her desk. A desktop is okay with me because when it's time to replace my laptop, I will almost certainly want another laptop. We would then have a laptop in the family which could be moved around or taken on trips, etc. I like my Apple iBook, but I'm not adverse to considering a PC laptop, so this story will be continued.  

2 comments:

Mary Jane Gilbertson said...

Hey Bill, another couple of feet coming, why not do what I do? Stay in and wait for it to melt!

Bill said...

Hi MJ, that's a real good idea, but I'm not as smart as you, Perfesser. I don't know enough to stay out of the cold. Actually, I did cancel a doctor's appointment for Wednesday morning, so maybe I'm not all that dumb.