Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Snow, Snow, Snow & Computers (or I Need a Drink)

Well, it is certainly snowing in ernest now (3:15p.m.). It snowed over night and I went outside to see if I should try to remove the wet snow. The walks were relatively easy, but when I came to the alley, it was another story. The plow had come through the alley during the night and contrary to prior practices, had piled the snow all on one side of the alley - ours. This left a three foot pile of wet snow that had to be removed before we could get cars out. My 9 h.p. snow blower had a tough time with it. I'm glad I did it though, because with the next round of snow that we're getting now, it might have been an impossible task.

Anne's computer has been acting strangely so we decided that it was time to replace the seven year old machine. I had thought that she might want a laptop, but she was pretty sure that a desktop was for her. Since she was the one using it, that was fine with me. Then I saw an ad for an Acer 23" all-in-one with a touch screen and she liked that. We went to Best Buy and saw an HP with a touch screen and she liked that. Then the next day we went to Staples and she saw the 17" laptops and thought one of those would be nice. Then we went back to Best Buy and saw an 18" Toshiba laptop which she liked. We went home and I found out everything that I could about that computer. Anne talked to Christine and I emailed my friend, Mary Jane, who counseled to use Google tools instead of Microsoft Office and to get a desk top. Anne decided to get the 18" laptop, so back to Best Buy we went and as we went in, what to her wondering eyes did appear at the end of an aisle, but a 15" Dell which had a superb picture on it. That's what we got and I have spent most of the time since, when not shoveling, transferring stuff from the old computer, downloading updates and doing all the stuff you apparently must do when getting a new computer. No wonder people are willing to pay the Geek Squad and similar outfits to do it for them. My gosh, is nothing easy or straightforward? I love it when you get a message that you need to download a certain program for which you are provided a link, but when you get to the page, Microsoft tells you it doesn't know what program you're talking about. I will not shovel anymore today, nor will I do anything more with the new computer today, I hope. I am having a drink and I think I deserve it.

No comments: