Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Depressing Days

Rain, rain go away. Today was another one of those dreary days when doing outside activities was not very enjoyable, so I didn't. I sometimes wish for a day like this so I can do things inside that I can't do because I am forced to do things outside. Actually, I am happy to be outside when there are nice days like we had this past weekend and it seems that spring should provide those days for us, having given us a foretaste. I decided to practice some music. (You'll have to amble on over to my other blog, Barrister Bill, to follow my musical career.) I could have gone down into the cellar and organized stuff, but that's always there to do. If, at some point, I don't take a break from household chores, I will never do any fun things.

I also took some time to read some more of my Gothic Tales. In addition to Jamaica Inn, I have also read Mission to Malaspiga, by Evelyn Anthony, The High Valley, by Jessica North, and Mistress of Mellyn, by Victoria Holt. I thought the last one was particularly good. Lots of twists and turns. I have just started Thunder Heights, by Phyllis A. Whitney. All of the stories, so far, have as the main character, a young woman who somehow goes to stay with a very wealthy family and then finds herself in a dangerous situation. I'm not going to tell you any more because I'm afraid I will give away some of the plots and that wouldn't be fair. I am enjoying all of these stories.

I mentioned to my daughter, Christine, that I wished I had some way to keep track of the books I read and what I thought of them. She recommended a free site called Goodreads where you can list books that you have read, comment on them and read comments that others have made on books that they have read. I joined up, but I haven't actually listed any books yet. I'll get around to it. I had better do it soon or I will have forgotten the names of the books I read, never mind what they were about.

What is it about Facebook? That is the most frustrating site. One minute something is on my wall, or whatever they call it, the next it is gone. Some friends' posts don't show up and I have to go looking for them. Very annoying.

Tomorrow the sun is supposed to come out. Maybe I'll be able to get outside and catch up with some chores.

No comments: