Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Gothic Tales, Pictures, Spanish

The title to this post is ambitious so I'd better get busy. Previously, I wrote about starting Jamaica Inn by Lady Baldwin (D.B.E.) better known as Daphne de Maurier. I had read it before, but it is a very well written tale of murder and mayhem. I shouldn't tell about the story as I think it will detract from the excitement of reading it. It is told from a young woman's point of view, written by a woman, of course, and will be enjoyed by any man who likes a good adventure story and by any woman who might fancy putting herself in the place of Mary Yellan, who, upon the death of her mother goes to live with her aunt Patience and her uncle, the landlord of the infamous Jamaica Inn. Twists, turns and surprises along the way. Get thee to the library, or wait until I'm finished with the book that it's in and you can borrow it from me.

Speaking of the book that it's in, it is a Reader's Digest book called Six Gothic Tales. All of the authors are women and all of the tales are condensed versions. I usually abhor condensed versions of books, but I found this book lying around and the stories looked interesting. The next story (book) which I have just started is Mission to Malaspiga by Evelyn Anthony. Once again, the central character is a young woman who has just lost her brother in what appears to be murder orchestrated by aristocratic members of her own family to whom she is distantly related. It involves drugs, international intrigue and affairs of the heart.

Pictures - I am now through 2007 and am ready to start on 2008 which appears to be the last year of the mysterious numbered files. I can't wait to see what other surprises are in store for me there.

I decided, again, that I want to learn Spanish. I have a series of eight CDs by Michel Thomas which I listened to three times and was no better off for my efforts than when I first began. I thought I would buy the Rosetta Stone program and went on the internet to find out that I could pay $699. for the whole five series course or $263. for the same thing at another site. Huh? I mentioned my intention to Anne who said that Katie had used that in school and was very disappointed in it. Now, Katie is 13 years old, but I trust her judgment and do so especially in matters of learning in which she is currently specializing, whereas I am not. Therefore, I will not get the Rosetta Stone program. Looking at my book shelves, I discovered that I had another Spanish language program called Learn to Speak Spanish Deluxe. The box has never been opened and I don't recall where it came from, but it is titled in the very thing I want to do: learn to speak Spanish. I have now opened the box and will proceed to load the CDs onto a computer. I guess I'll have to do something else with it as well before I can actually speak Spanish. I also discovered Learn to Speak French Deluxe in another unopened box. I will perhaps need that as one of my Facebook friends, Esther, from Haiti thinks I speak French and wants me to learn Creole. This is why my days are flying by.

No comments: