Saturday, March 27, 2010

Saturday (After my Birthday) / Liquor

I didn't want to forget about my birthday just yet, although having birthdays isn't as exciting as it once was.

Today, I went into the cellar to clear out some shelf space in our cold room (that's what it says on the blueprint from 1911) for wine bottles that had been stored on a table in the main part of the cellar. Anne noticed that the sun would hit them, even on cold days and warm them. Not something that should happen to wine. After I had accomplished this, Anne said, "We have an awful lot of liquor down there. We should use it up." I said, "Okay. I will proceed to do that." I don't think we have an "awful lot" of liquor. We have a number of bottles of various kinds of spirits that have been acquired as gifts or by purchase over the years. Some are actually quite ancient.

Since Anne went to a shower this afternoon, I decided to go down into the cellar and proceed to carry out her instructions.

I lined up the bottles on the drain board by the sink. I picked up the first bottle, pulled the cork out of it and poured it down the sink, except for one little swallow, which I drank.

I picked up the second bottle, pulled the cork out of it and poured it down the sink, that is, all except for one little swallow, which I drank.

I picked up the next bottle, pulled the sink out of it and poured it down the cork, except one little swallow, which I drank.

I picked up the next cork, pulled the bottle out of it and poured it down the sink, all except one little drink, which I drank.

I picked up the next sink, pulled the cork out of it and poured it down the bottle, all except one little drink, which I sank.

I picked up the next drink, pulled the swallow out of it and poured it down the sink, all except one little drink, I think.

Now, let's see how many bottles do I have left, which I drank. I ask you, though, wasn't that a terrible thing for my wife to ask me to do? But, bless her little heart. I know she only has my best interests in mind. And you listen, buster. Don't say anything against my wife, because I have the wifest little nice you ever saw, which I drank.

2 comments:

Mary Jane Gilbertson said...

LOL thanks Bill! You make me laugh, you should have a column like Erma Bombeck. It is thanks to her that I light the darn candles!

Bill said...

When I was clearing a shelf for the wine I found many, many candles. Scented candles, flavored candles, Christmas candles, even Hanukah candles. We don't burn candles that often so I don't know where they all came from. I guess we're all set if the power goes out.