Monday, March 15, 2010

Windshield Wipers

I just changed the windshield wipers on the minivan. That's basically Anne's car and she has noticed a deterioration in the wiping ability. There are people out there somewhere whose job it is to design all sorts of connection types for windshield wipers. If you change them frequently, you probably remember how it was done the last time and it's a snap. But, most people don't change their wipers more than twice a year, if that and, up to now, I almost always had them changed when I was getting the car serviced. Now that I'm retired, that's one luxury that has to end. So, I'm confronted with not so clear instructions and tiny pictures showing me what to do. I got them changed and I hope I did it correctly because the last thing I want is for Anne to tell me that a wiper fell off while she was driving in a rain storm. Since I have now been successful with the Pontiac, I will move on to the Chevy. I have a different brand of replacement blades for it and, I'm sure, a different connection gizmo. I wonder how people get jobs like that. Do you apply to be a windshield wiper designer? Are there courses for that? Can you get a job doing that after you retire from something else, or do you have to start young? Do they have contests and award prizes for the most convoluted design? I wonder about all of this.

No comments: